It’s no secret that travel can be a scary experience—many things can go wrong, from getting lost in an unfamiliar city to being stranded in a foreign country with no way to get home. But while the potential for disaster is always present, that doesn’t mean you should let it keep you from exploring the world. Embracing fear and diving into new experiences is one of the best ways to overcome it. Here are seven of the scary things to do on your next travel adventure:
1. Go on a Haunted Hayride
Many towns and cities offer haunted hayrides as a Halloween attraction, but did you know that you can also find them year-round in some places? If you’re looking for a truly spine-tingling experience, hop on a hayride.
A haunted hayride can offer a nail-biting experience. They are frightening and usually set in dark backgrounds and places like tunnels to ensure it feels naturally scary. However, when going for a hayride, ensure to go along with friends to enjoy all the moments.
2. Take a Ghost Tour
Another great way to get your heart racing on vacation is to take a ghost tour. These tours typically visit haunted locations and tell the stories of the spirits that are said to haunt them. You can find ghost tours in many cities across the United States and other countries like Scotland and England.
Some of the most popular ghost tours include:
- The Ghost and Graveyard Tour in Edinburgh, Scotland
- The Ghosts of York Walking Tour in York, England
- The San Francisco Ghost Hunt Walking Tour in San Francisco, California
3. Climb a Tall Mountain or Cliff
For those looking for a more physical challenge, climbing a tall mountain or cliff can be a great way to get your heart racing. Not only will you have to face your fears of heights, but you’ll also need to trust your strength and ability to make it to the top.
Some of the tallest mountains and cliffs in the world include:
- Mount Everest in Nepal
- Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
- The Peak District in England
- The Giant’s Causeway in Northern Ireland
4. Explore an Abandoned Building
Abandoned buildings are always eerie, but they can also be fascinating places to explore. If you’re interested in urban exploration, there are many abandoned buildings that you can visit around the world. Follow an experienced guide and take all the necessary safety precautions.
Some of the most popular abandoned buildings to explore include:
- The Island of Dolls in Mexico City, Mexico
- The SS Ayrfield in Homebush Bay, Australia
- The Pripyat Amusement Park in Pripyat, Ukraine
- The Hashima Island in Japan
5. Visit a Real-life Horror Movie Location
Have you ever wanted to visit the set of your favorite horror movie? Well, you can! Many famous horror movies are filmed in real-life locations that you can visit. For example, the house from The Conjuring is located in Harrisville, Rhode Island, and the Overlook Hotel from The Shining is situated in Estes Park, Colorado.
So, if you’re a horror movie fan, why not add a few of these locations to your travel list?
- The Conjuring House in Harrisville, Rhode Island
- The Overlook Hotel from The Shining in Estes Park, Colorado
- Elm Street House from A Nightmare on Elm Street in Chicago, Illinois
- Stanley Hotel from The Shining in Estes Park, Colorado
- The Amityville Horror House in Amityville, New York
6. Visit a Cemetery
Cemeteries may not seem like the most obvious choice for a vacation destination, but they can be quite interesting places to visit. Many cemeteries are home to beautiful sculptures and architecture; some even offer tours that tell the stories of the buried people. If you’re feeling brave, you can even spend the night in a cemetery!
- Père Lachaise Cemetery in Paris, France
- Westminster Abbey in London, England
- Highgate Cemetery in London, England
- Graceland Cemetery in Chicago, Illinois
7. Take a Walk on the Wild Side
Finally, if you want to push your boundaries, why not take a walk on the wild side? There are many places around the world where you can find wild animals, some of which are quite safe to visit. Of course, you should always do your research before embarking on any kind of animal encounter, but if you’re looking for a truly unique experience, these are some places you might want to add to your list:
- The Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya
- The Serengeti National Park in Tanzania
- The Kruger National Park in South Africa
- The Yellowstone National Park in the United States
- The Galapagos Islands in Ecuador
Visiting scary places on vacation can be a great way to get your heart racing and add excitement to your trip. Just be sure to do your research beforehand and take all the necessary safety precautions. With a little planning, you can have a safe and thrilling vacation that you’ll never forget.